Thursday, March 5, 2009

Kids WoW Worship

I was searching for some christian kids worship songs on youtube and came across this disturbing video. It was a Hillsong Kids music video featuring a worship session with kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpn5AneeI4E&feature=PlayList&p=66A412421214A24F&playnext=1&index=36


I know Hillsong christian music falls into the charismatic christian songs category. Although I disagree with some of the theology behind some Hillsongs, I still enjoy listening to Hillong worship music. What disturbed me was the fact that this kids worship session was like an adult worship session, complete with MTV-style choreographed youth dancers and GASP! bubbly and cute-looking toy mascots in the form of little dolls with big heads. It resembled a fun party (which is great and it was wonderful to see the kids enjoying the worship session). However, I wonder if this is all the kids are exposed to in their church, is it any wonder that they get hyper, only enjoy things that are exciting, fast-moving, colourful, loud and showy. Will they learn to worship God without any idols like fancy-dolls and neat dance moves? The worship seems to be rather self-centred, worship-leader and dancers-focused.

I must express that the above opinion is written by someone who attends a Presbyterian church, so yes, I admit that this style of worship is not something I experience every Sunday. My background was a Methodist church though, which had a fairly charismatic style of worship. Having crossed over to a more contemplative and non-expressive style of worship, I do miss the expressive type of worship to God. If only we could strike a nice balance and learn to freely worship God and as we do so, always reflect and be thankful on what Jesus had done for us on the cross, how perfect that would be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home